Quick navigation menu :

  1. Go to the content
  2. Go to the main sections menu
  3. Go to the search engine
  4. Go to the languages menu
  5. Go to the help menu
  6. Go to the modules
  7. Go to the shortcuts list

Help menu :

  1. Sanofi Worldwide |
  2. Canadian Web Sites |
  3. Global Business Websites |
  4. Contact us |
  5. Sitemap |
  6. Help
  1. RSS
  2. Font size

    Reduce font size Increase font size  

Contact us

Sanofi Canada

2905 Place Louis-R.-Renaud
Laval, Quebec, H7V 0A3

General inquiries


Customer Service


Content :

Other Healthcare Professionals You Might Meet as You Manage Your Diabetes

In addition to your core healthcare team, you may benefit from a consultation with other specialists as well:


What can a social worker do for me?

A social worker can help you deal with the diagnosis of diabetes and work through any social or emotional difficulty you are experiencing. They can also help you find support in the community and help your family understand how to help support you.

What can a foot care specialist do for me?

A doctor who specializes in disorders of the feet is called a chiropodist, or a podiatrist. Some nurses also specialize in foot care. Because diabetes can cause damage to the nerves, your feet are at risk. At each visit, your doctor should ask you to remove your shoes and socks to examine your feet, and you should be vigilant about taking care of sores or cuts on your feet.

What can a cardiologist do for me?

A cardiologist is a doctor who specializes in the heart and the circulatory system. Having diabetes increases your risk of developing cardiovascular disease. It is very important to monitor your blood pressure and cholesterol carefully, and make any changes your doctor recommends. If your family doctor needs help managing your cardiovascular health, he or she will refer you to a cardiologist.

What can an eye specialist do for me?

Diabetes can harm the small blood vessels in the eyes (a disease called "retinopathy"), so your family doctor might refer you to a doctor who specializes in eye care, an ophthalmologist (who can provide medical or surgical treatment of eye diseases) or an optometrist (who can provide non-surgical, primary eye care services). A person with diabetes should see an ophthalmologist annually. Each visit should include putting eye drops in your eyes.

What can a nephrologist do for me?

When you have diabetes, you're at a higher risk of developing kidney disease than people without diabetes. If you do have kidney disease, your family doctor might refer you to a nephrologist, who is a doctor that specializes in kidney disease and its treatment.

What can a psychologist do for me?

People with diabetes have a higher risk of depression than the general population. Your family doctor can prescribe an antidepressant medication to treat depression, however, it often requires more than medication. Your family doctor may refer you to a psychologist who will work with you to improve your quality of life.

What can a neurologist do for me?

People with diabetes can experience damage to their peripheral nerves, which are the nerves that go to the arms, hands, legs, and feet. Damage to these nerves can result in pain as well as loss of feeling in these areas of the body. If you have nerve damage, your family doctor may refer you to a neurologist, who is a nerve specialist.